December 4, 2014 — Some 10,000 to 15,000 residents in Tacloban City are being preemptively evacuated from their homes due to the threat from Typhoon Ruby (Hagupit).
Tacloban Mayor Alfred Romualdez said the residents were brought to the Tacloban Astrodome, radio dzBB’s Tuesday Niu reported.
Romualdez said the Astrodome is one of the biggest and most stable structures in the city, which last year bore the brunt of devastation from super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan).
Several Tacloban residents also lined up at grocery stores to buy food and supplies that could last for a week, the dzBB report said.
It said the residents had learned from their experience from Yolanda. Last year, many went hungry due to the lack of food supply.
A separate report on GMA News TV’s “News TV Live” said many residents left the city via buses and UV Express vehicles.
In Ormoc City, there were reports of panic buying among residents, the same television report said.
In Eastern Samar, Guiuan Mayor Christopher Gonzalez said residents had volunteered to evacuate.
For its part, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said Thursday that Eastern Visayas residents staying in tents will be moved to permanent shelters.
Meanwhile, state-run Philippine Information Agency reported that in Cebu, resort owners on Malapascua Island urged their guests to leave the islet before noon.
This is in view of the threat from Ruby, it said. - GMA News
- Filipinos Urge Action on Climate Change in Peru
- Giant PH Storms Show Climate Change Threat
- Typhoon Ruby Brings Increasing Disaster Risk Into APEC Focus
- NDRRMC: 1 Million People Affected by Typhoon ‘Ruby’
- Metro Manila Feels ‘Ruby’ Monday
- 10-15k Tacloban Residents Preemptively Evacuated Amid Ruby Threat
- Bohol Coastal Villages Ordered Evacuated
- ‘Ruby’ Now A Super Typhoon, Enters PAR
- US Navy Upgrades ‘Ruby’ to ‘Supertyphoon’
- Tropical Storm Ruby Updates as of Dec 4 2014