DANGEROUS JOURNEY. Migrants wait to be rescued in the Mediterranean Sea, 30 nautical miles from the Libyan coast, on August 6, 2017. Photo by Angelos Tzortzinis/AFP The migrants are the latest to risk their lives, trying to cross the Mediterranean to Europe
TRIPOLI, Libya (Aug. 6, 2017) — Libya’s coastguard intercepted 137 migrants including 5 women and 3 children on Sunday, August 6, as they attempted to reach Europe, a migration official told Agence France-Presse.
Continue reading Libyan coastguard intercepts 137 migrants Image by Rappler.com General Ayoub Kacem says the boat’s hull was completely destroyed and the survivors, all men, were found clinging to a floating device
TRIPOLI, Libya (Apr. 14, 2017) — At least 97 migrants went missing after their boat sank Thursday, April 13, off the Libyan coast, a navy spokesman said.
Continue reading At least 97 migrants missing as boat sinks off Libya Migrants, most of them from Eritrea, jump into the water from a crowded wooden boat as they are helped by members of an NGO during a rescue operation at the Mediterranean sea, about 13 miles north of Sabratha, Libya, Monday, Aug. 29, 2016. Thousands of migrants and refugees were rescued Monday morning from more than 20 boats by members of Proactiva Open Arms NGO before transferring them to the Italian cost guards and others NGO vessels operating at the zone.(AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti) Rescuers are feeling powerless in the face of mounting challenges
October 27, 2016 — The stretch of the Mediterranean Sea separating Libya from southern Italy has become a death trap for some of the world’s most vulnerable people.
Continue reading One Of The Last Remaining Routes To Europe For Refugees Is Also One Of The Deadliest DANGEROUS JOURNEY. Migrants hang from a boat as they wait to be rescued in the Mediterranean Sea, some 12 nautical miles north of Libya, on October 4, 2016. File photo by Aris Messinis/AFP The most dangerous route is between Libya and Italy, where the UN has recorded one death for every 47 arrivals this year
GENEVA, Switzerland (Oct. 27, 2016) — At least 3,800 migrants and refugees have perished this year while trying to cross the Mediterranean to reach Europe, the highest ever toll ever on the perilous route, the United Nations (UN) said Wednesday, October 26.
Continue reading Mediterranean migrant deaths in 2016 hit record 3,800 – UN Image by Rappler.com The find adds to the grim evidence of the hazards of crossing the Mediterranean – a journey that the UN said Wednesday has claimed more than 3,800 lives so far this year, a record
ROME, Italy (Oct. 27, 2016) — The French aid group Doctors without Borders (MSF) said Wednesday, October 26, it had found a pile of 25 migrants who died in apocalyptic conditions, perishing in a pool of fuel and seawater aboard a crowded dinghy off Libya.
Continue reading 25 people found dead in Mediterranean migrant boat horror Migrants from African origin receive food at the port in the Libyan town of Garabulli, east of Tripoli, on October 3, 2016 after they were rescued by the Libyan coast guard police as their small boat capsized. Two children and nine women died on when a small boat carrying migrants to Italy capsized off the shore of Libya, a coastguard official said. The official, who asked not to be identified, told AFP the victims were among 160 people crammed aboard the boat that went down off Garabulli. / AFP / MAHMUD TURKIA (Photo credit should read MAHMUD TURKIA/AFP/Getty Images) It was one of the highest numbers in a single day
ROME (Oct. 3, 2016) — About 6,055 migrants were rescued and 22 found dead on the perilous sea route to Europe on Monday, one of the highest numbers in a single day, Italian and Libyan officials said.
Continue reading More Than 6,000 Migrants Plucked From The Sea Image by Rappler.com ‘The first American air strikes on precise positions of the Daesh (ISIS) organization were carried out today, causing heavy losses… in Sirte,’ prime minister Fayez al-Sarraj says
TRIPOLI, Libya (Aug. 2, 2016) — US warplanes Monday, August 1, carried out airstrikes on positions of the Islamic State (ISIS) jihadist group in its Libyan stronghold of Sirte for the first time, the country’s unity government announced.
Continue reading US launches first anti-ISIS air raids in Libya’s Sirte TALKS ON LIBYA. Jordanian Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh (R) listens to US Secretary of State John Kerry (L), during a bilateral meeting in Vienna, Austria, 16 May 2016. EPA/LEONHARD FOEGER / POOL The Vienna conference is being co-chaired by the United States and Italy. More than 20 top diplomats are set to attend the meeting.
VIENNA, Austria (May 16, 2016) — World powers said Monday, May 16, they supported the lifting of an arms embargo on Libya and were ready to supply weapons to the country’s new unity government to help it fight the growing threat posed by the Islamic State group.
Continue reading World powers ready to arm Libya in fight against ISIS ISIS IN LIBYA. A view shows damage at the scene after an airstrike by US warplanes against a jihadist training camp in Sabratha, Libya, February 19, 2016. File photo by EPA ISIS jihadists have cemented their hold on the coastal city of Sirte, wiping out opposition and the group is ‘currently the most significant political and military actor in the region’
UNITED NATIONS (Mar. 11, 2016) — The Islamic State (IS, formerly known as ISIS or the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq) group has significantly expanded its control over Libya, fueling demand by the country’s warring parties for more arms to confront the threat, UN experts have told the Security Council.
Continue reading ISIS expanding in Libya, fueling arms race Image by Rappler.com It is the second deadly attack in the Tunisia-Libya border area in less than a week
BEN GUERDANE, Tunisia (Mar. 7, 2016) — Tunisian forces repelled a jihadist assault Monday, March 7, on a town near the Libyan border, killing 36 assailants in what authorities said was a thwarted effort to establish an Islamic emirate.
Continue reading Over 50 dead as Tunisia foils ’emirate’ bid on Libya border