#StoryOfTheNation: Mindanaoans a year after Marawi siege

marawi ruins
RUINS. Municipal councilor Jalil Mamailaw comes home to a burnt house, Saturday, April 7, in Marawi City. Photo by Martin San Diego/Rappler

From the two areas that have been granted access so far, residents found their life’s work either destroyed, burnt, or looted

MANILA, Philippines (May 23, 2018) —  One year after the ISIS-linked Maute Group attacked Marawi, the city and its people are still recovering from the 5-month war that left thousands homeless.

Damage to properties was estimated at P11 billion while about P6.6 billion was lost in terms of economic opportunities.

Around 33 barangays and 24 villages were affected by the fighting, with majority of the buildings there now in ruins.

Nothing is left of their homes

Residents of Brgy. Daguguban and Brgy. Tulali returned home to almost nothing five months after Marawi City’s liberation, Saturday, April 7. Evacuees from the city were given 3 days to retrieve whatever they can from the rubble of what used to be their homes starting April 1 to May 10.

From the two areas that have been granted access so far, residents found their life’s work either destroyed, burnt, or looted.

Jalil Mamailaw, a municipal councilor living in Brgy Tulali, Marawi City walked with dismay as he entered his house which was gutted by fire.

Ito nangyari. Wala na, wala nang natira. Wala na,” (This is what happened, it’s all gone.) he mumbled.

Wala akong nakuha sa bahay namin, kahit isa. Lahat nasira. Hindi namin alam kung sino sumira,” (Everything inside my house was destroyed. We don’t know who destroyed it) said Isham Dianalan, who works in a local school nearby.

For Naima Abdurahman Palawan, her investments from decades’ work as a dressmaker in Saudi is now all a shambles. “Tingnan mo yung mga motor, pinaghiwa-hiwa yung mga makina (kopantahi). Anim na makina ito,” (Look at the sewing machines. They’re torn into pieces. These were 6 sewing machines) Palawan said.

Though everything is in ruins, Marawi City residents still want to go back to their homes if given the chance.

Calls to pass BBL

In the aftermath of Marawi siege, several Mindanaoan youths called for the passage of Bangsamoro Basic Law.

Ellyssahanna U. Espinosa, from Cagayan de Oro City, said that BBL should be passed because it will protect the people’s rights and dignity.

“And we fear that if BBL will not be passed, another rebel group will rise or another siege will happen. God forbid,” Espinosa said.

Here are their stories:


by Rappler.com