Thousands risk starving to death in Syria

malnutrition
MALNUTRITION. A UNICEF employee measures the arm of a malnourished child in the besieged Syrian town of Madaya on January 14, 2016. File photo by Unicef/AFP
Syrians trapped in their besieged towns could die as they face continued lack of food and water

GENEVA, Switzerland (Feb. 29, 2016) — The United Nations (UN) human rights chief on Monday, February 29, warned that thousands of people risk dying of starvation in besieged areas in Syria where nearly half a million remain trapped.

“The deliberate starvation of people is unequivocally forbidden as a weapon of warfare. By extension, so are sieges, which deprive civilians of essential goods such as food,” Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said.

In an address opening the UN Human Rights Council’s main annual session, Zeid pointed to the desperate situation of an estimated 480,000 people “currently trapped in besieged towns and villages in Syria – and have been, in some cases for years.”

Aid workers say several dozen people have died of starvation just in Madaya, which became a symbol of the plight of besieged Syrians after shocking images of starving residents spread last month.

But Zeid warned that the situation could be far more dire.

“Thousands of people risk starving to death,” he said.

His comments came as the UN was preparing to deliver aid to thousands of besieged civilians in Syria as a fragile ceasefire appeared to be largely holding.

The first major truce in 5 years of conflict was expected to allow aid workers to bring supplies to an additional 154,000 people living in besieged areas over the next 5 days.

But Zeid said that prior to the temporary cessation of hostilities that began Saturday, human rights in the country had been “violated shockingly” for nearly 5 years.

“Neighborhoods, schools, and packed marketplaces have been hit by tens of thousands of air strikes, thousands of barrel bombs have been thrown out of helicopters onto streets and homes,” he said of the conflict which has cost more than 270,000 lives since March 2011.

He also said that some parties “are targeting medical units deliberately, or with reckless disregard,” noting that at least 10 hospitals and other medical units have been damaged or destroyed just since the beginning of the year.


  by Agence France-Presse | Rappler.com