Heavy fighting erupts in South Sudan capital

juba, south sudan
CRISIS. A file photo dated April 25, 2016 shows a group of the 195 opposition soldiers arriving with General Simon Gatwech Dual, the chief of staff of the South Sudan rebel troops, in Juba, South Sudan. File photo by Phillip Dhil/AFP

The clashes between former rebels and government soldiers force thousands of residents to flee

JUBA, South Sudan (July 11, 2016) — Thousands fled renewed heavy fighting in South Sudan’s capital on Sunday, July 10, as former rebels and government soldiers exchanged fire in several parts of the city. 

The battles began on the western outskirts of Juba where both former rebels and government soldiers have bases at the foot of the Jebel Kujur mountain close to a UN camp.

Fighting was heard in several other parts of the city throughout the day, including the tinderbox Gudele neighborhood – where rebel leader turned vice president Riek Machar is headquartered – and the central Tongping area near the international airport, with gunfire intensifying and subsiding at different times.

Regional leaders, including from Kenya and Sudan, have urged an end to the fighting and plan to hold a special summit in Nairobi on Monday, July 11.

The renewed conflict was condemned by the UN and others with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon saying he was “shocked and appalled.” The UN Security Council is due to hold a closed-door meeting on the crisis later Sunday.

Speaking on Sunday afternoon, South Sudan’s information minister Michael Makuei blamed the former rebels for the fighting and insisted the government was “in full control of Juba” even as shooting could be heard in parts of the city.

Makuei said President Salva Kiir would call for a ceasefire later in the day.

“We are expecting his excellency the president will issue a unilateral ceasefire, binding on his forces. We hope the First Vice President Riek Machar will follow suit,” he said.

The violence comes a day after the world’s youngest country marked its 5th independence anniversary, and is a fresh blow to a peace deal that has failed to end the civil war that broke out in December 2013.

City residents hunkered down or began fleeing their homes as the UN reported the use of mortars, rocket-propelled grenades and “heavy ground assault weaponry.” Helicopter gunships and tanks were also deployed during the course of the day.

‘Significantly deteriorated’

UN House, a site close to where the fighting began, is home to roughly 28,000 people previously uprooted by the war and living in flimsy makeshift houses. Aid workers said rounds had landed inside the UN camp, wounding some civilians.

A steady stream of fearful civilians, clutching children and possessions, headed for the hoped-for refuge of another UN base close to the city’s airport, only to find fighting erupting there too. There were also reports of hundreds of South Sudanese crossing into neighboring Uganda.

The US embassy in Juba warned its citizens to stay indoors.

“The situation in Juba has significantly deteriorated. There is serious ongoing fighting between government and opposition forces, including near the airport, UNMISS locations, Jebel and elsewhere throughout Juba,” the embassy posted on its Facebook page.

Airline Kenya Airways suspended flights to Juba on Sunday, citing the “uncertain security situation.”

The battles were the first since Friday, July 8, when brief but heavy exchanges of fire left an estimated 150 soldiers dead on both sides.

There were no immediate details of casualties from Sunday’s violence.

South Sudan has seen more fighting than peace since independence in July 2011, with civil war breaking out December 2013 when Kiir accused Machar of plotting a coup.

An August 2015 peace deal was supposed to end the conflict but observers say the peace process has stalled while fighting has continued despite the establishment of a unity government.

This week’s clashes are the first between the army and former rebels in the capital – where the war broke out – since both established positions there in April as part of the peace agreement.

Tens of thousands have died in more than two years of civil war, close to 3 million have been forced from their homes, and nearly 5 million survive on emergency food rations.

The humanitarian crisis has unfolded alongside an economic one with the currency collapsing and inflation spiraling out of control. The country’s mainstay oil industry is in tatters and regional towns have been razed.

  by Agence France-Presse | Rappler.com